Fitting, optimization and demonstration of hearing devices
Developer: GN Hearing (website: www.resound.com)
AudGam Pro is aimed at audiologists and hearing aid users from all age groups. Its main goals is to assist audiologists in providing a flexible environment to simulate multiple everyday situations for their patients from the comfort of their clinic, and to help hearing impaired people learn about the functions of their hearing aids (HA).
A virtual environment and menu system in AudGam Pro
The application helps the audiologists to assess hearing loss, fit the Hearing Aids and demonstrate the potential of hearing aids. Audiometric tests are presented in an innovative way in order to define a more personalised profile, simulating different environments reproduced through the headphones and over loudspeakers to inform audiologists and patients as to the best choice of HA and it’s fitting.
The audiologists will provide audio tests in the form of short games, split into three phases and a free mode session: the first phase aims for the audiologist to assess hearing loss using gamified tests. The patients, using headphones, will explore different virtual environments, commonly found in day to day life, such as a house, restaurant, or noisy street. The second step is aimed to help the audiologist to fit virtual hearing aids: based on the results of Phase 1. In the third phase, the audiologist will fit real hearing aids, transferring the fitting evaluated in phase 2 in the real HA.
The last step is a free mode session: with the patient’s HA fitted and moved in an open space, the player can explore the different virtual environments and for each acoustic conditions try different programs and features of HAs. The HAs programs are pre-set by the audiologist, but the player will be able to modify the default features using various user interfaces (remote control, iPhone, or others).
Loudspeaker system for 3D audio simulation in AudGam Pro
The advantages of this system are:
- The possibility to extract more realistic data from patients through immersing them in everyday life environments
- Patients being able to try the different models and features of various HAs, thus choosing hearing aids that are more appropriate to their needs
- The audiologist fitting the HAs more precisely for each context, calibrating the HAs features directly in the virtual environment and better understanding the patient’s needs
- Patients feeling more relaxed in comparison with a traditional audiology session
- The possibility for audiologists to better improve storage of e data and compare progress